The Biden administration has expanded support for Ukrainians. Ukrainians who entered the U.S. on or before April
11, 2022, may be granted temporary protected status (TPS). Ukrainians may also have been paroled into the U.S
under DT; DT indicates parole was granted at a port of entry or District Office. These individuals will have one of
the following statuses:
• Ukrainian paroled into the U.S.
o Paroled for less than one year, or
o Paroled for one year or more
Individuals are not automatically granted a social security number but may be issued one after applying for an
employment authorization card.
Eligibility for Apple Health (Medicaid)
Ukrainians granted DT Parole for less than one year or with TPS status are eligible for the following Apple Health
• Apple Health for children
• Apple Health for pregnancy
• Alien Emergency Medical (AEM) and state-funded long-term care
• Medical Care Services (MCS) – if eligible for Aged, Blind, or Disabled (ABD) Cash Assistance or the
Housing and Essential Needs (HEN) Referral Program
Apple health program eligibility based on immigration status
Adult Medical AEM MCS
Parolee (DT) less than
one year Eligible Eligible Not eligible Eligible Eligible
Parolee (DT) one year
Eligible Eligible Not eligible* Eligible Eligible
TPS Status Eligible Eligible Not eligible Eligible Eligible
*Ukrainians paroled into the U.S for 1 year or more years are qualified immigrants and are eligible for the Apple Health programs
mentioned above. However, they will have to meet the 5-year bar before being eligible for non-emergency Apple Health for Adults.
Office of Medicaid Eligibility Policy – Apple Health Eligibility for Individuals from Ukraine
Revised May 06, 2022 2
There is a 5-year waiting period, commonly referred to as the 5-year bar for qualified immigrants over the age of
19, who enter the U.S. on or after August 22, 1996.
Parolees from Ukraine who are not eligible for Apple Health may be eligible for a Qualified Health Plan with
financial assistance through Washington Healthplanfinder.
Submit applications for individuals who are under 65 years to the Health Care Authority:
• Online: wahealthplanfinder.org
• Mobile app: WAPlanfinder
• In person: Health Benefit Exchange Navigator
• Phone: Call the Washington Healthplanfinder customer support center at 1-855-923-4633.
Submit applications for individuals who are age 65 or older, have blindness or a disability to the Department of
Social and Health Services:
• Online: washingtonconnection.org
• Paper: Application for aged, blind, disabled/long-term care coverage (18-005)
• In-person: local community services office
• Questions? Call 1-877-501-2233
Interpreter services are available.
• Citizenship and Immigration status guide
• President Biden to Announce Uniting for Ukraine, a New Streamlined Process to Welcome Ukrainians
Fleeing Russia’s Invasion of Ukraine | Homeland Security (dhs.gov)
• CLEAR Hotline: 1-888-201-1014
• Northwest Immigrant Rights Project (NWIRP):
o NWIRP Seattle Office: 206-587-4009
o NWIRP Yakima Valley (Granger) Office: 509-854-2100
o NWIRP Wenatchee Office: 509-570-0054
• Immigration Law Help (search Washington state)
• National Immigration Law Center